Piano Lac Finish

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:43:13 -0400

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:45:11 EDT Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:
In a message dated 10/16/2002 11:38:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bases-loaded@juno.com writes:

Subj:Re: Piano Lac Finish
Date:10/16/2002 11:38:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time
From:bases-loaded@juno.com
Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
To:pianotech@ptg.org
Sent from the Internet

 So my question is what kind of rubout are you doing. How's the clarity?
Whats the process? I'll can't except anything muddy / hazy looking
myself.
   By the way what product are you using????????
    Thanks again. Still grinding away in Modesto>>>>Dale Erwin

Hi Dale -

Like you, I wet sand to 600-800, and follow with 4/0 steel wool w/
Mohawk's wool lube or equivalent.  These rubbing lubricants are
water-based, and I have used them many times with no problem, but only
after the finish has cured a week or more.  I prefer them over the
oil/paraffin lubes.  You can also use the grey scotchbrite pad in place
of the wool, but I think you will find it more like a 2/0 or 3/0 wool,
leaving the surface a bit more dull than 4/0 wool does.  (I would avoid
wool between coats, though.)  The scotchbrite can certainly be used as an
intermediate step between the paper and the wool, too, if desired.

For higher sheen/clarity, I frequently use Abralon pads from Supergrit
Abrasives, which are circular foam pads of grits from 500-4000 that work
great either by attaching them to a random orbit sander (as they were
designed) or by hand.  They practically never wear out, you just rinse
them out and re-use.  Incredibly uniform abrasives.  To ensure clarity,
sometimes I use these pads to rub out well beyond satin to completely
eliminate all signs of scratch pattern, then bring it back down to satin
or semi with 4/0 wool.  I sometimes follow with paste wax, but not
always.  It does bring up the sheen, filling in the micro scratches from
the wool.  This is worth noting:  Because the film is typically harder
than nitro, rub out can be a bit more aerobic, if you know what I mean,
requiring more rubbing with the wool/scotchbrite to eliminate the sanding
scratch pattern created from the 600.  Nitro, being softer, succumbs much
more quickly.  You may get quite fond of that random orbit sander....:-).
 (Hey, nobobdy said nitro doesn't have alot going for it!)

In terms of product, the last few years I have been using finishes from
Target Coatings, and also from Aquacote, both with good success.  There
is a very good finish from California I used for several years called
Enduro, and I was very pleased with it.  I eventually switched to
suppliers who were closer due to problems shipping the stuff
cross-country in the dead of winter.  If it freezes, it's probable death.
 Bad juju when you're stuck without product in Ohio in January and
they're shipping it from California.  Not much of a cure for the winter
blues when your finish arives D.O.A.!!!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com