key dip

Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:03:57 +0200

antares wrote:

> I personally have come to the conclusion that there is actually just one key
> dip and that key dip is 10 mm sharp, and no more than 10 mm.
> All piano makers in the world have a key dip of 10 mm except the earlier
> Pleyels, Blüthners and modern Steinways.... although, when I had my lessons
> at Steinway the head technician at the regulation department told me that he
> thought a key dip of less than 10 mm on any Steinway was bloody baloney.

First off... I have 6 manuals in front of me. 4 of them official manufacturers
specifications. I quote from these for your edification.

Schimmel Grands

     Over 2 meters --- key dip 10.4 -10.8
     Under 2 meters -- key dip 10.2 - 10.6
     Blow ranges from 44 to 46 in the specifications, and 44 to 48 in the grand
     requlating guide.

Schimmel Uprights

     Key dip 10.2 +/- 0.2, and 9.9 +/- 0.2 for pre 1985 models. blow 43 / 46

Yamaha grands

     Key dip 10 mm +/- 0.2. Laroy Edwards gives 10 mm and says temper this with
     common sense and a knowledge of action function.

Kawaii Grands

     Key dip for KG-8 is 11 mm, all other models is 10.5
     blow is 46 -48

I could go on and document factory specifications that range from 9.5 to 11 mm quite
easily. Again I must insist that there is no basis for demanding that the 10 mm key
dip has shown itself to be the best. Nor is it true that all or even the extreme
majority of manufacturers specify this. I will go along with that close to 10 mm is
a good norm, and it is indeed the one I choose. But to declare it as a universal
holy grail I will not.

Interestingly enough.... David Loves high ratio / low SW configurations push one
rather in the direction of shallow key dip concerns... tho just barely. But thats
the other thread.

> In regard to making key dip : I had to train one whole week to learn what a
> perfect key dip is.

Hmmm... interesting concept... the perfect key dip. Could you describe that for us
in terms of regulating specifications ?

> After that, when I read about various key dips, I always feel this urge to
> open up the magic box and type in the words I just type in.

Heck Andre... agree or not... I respect and admire your advices and expererience in
all things piano !

> Most elevated and friendly greetings.....

Likewise Andre :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.