To be or not to be: a heavy hammer

Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:19:24 -0700

This discussion is becoming a bit circular and I don't think I can add =
much to what I've already stated.  My research??? comes from the actions =
I've assembled and various tests on models.  Many people have wider =
parameters than I am suggesting and are willing to live with the changes =
necessary in regulation.  Any change in the action ratio, by definition, =
will cause some change in the regulation.   Action ratios of 5.75 - =
5.85, I am finding, produce the regulation specs that I outlined.  If =
the action regulates at 10 mm dip and 45 mm blow at R =3D 5.75, then if =
you change the R to 5.5 you will not be able to regulate the action with =
the same dimensions unless you alter the aftertouch.  Since I aim for =
only enough aftertouch to adequately clear the jack from the knuckle, =
any reduction creates potential problems.  On a concert grand, where =
blow distances increase slightly, a higher ratio is necessary if you =
want to maintain 10 mm dip and  aftertouch. =20

I don't restrict myself to 80% of FW, that is my target.  If a =
particular set of hammers cause things go over a bit or under a bit I =
don't worry about it.  Thus the SW zones are not limited to mid range, =
they can creep up a bit if I am willing to up the BW, FW or both, which =
I do on occasion.  You keep harping on this pppp ffff thing, as I =
mentioned in a previous post, this is a small consideration.  The tonal =
improvement reaped from moving the SW zone beyond where it can be =
accommodated by an R of 5.75 - 5.85 without assist springs, overly high =
BW's or FW's does not produce enough (if any) tonal improvement to =
warrant such a change.  That is my opinion, of course.  Quality of tone =
is not yet quantifiable and so is always a matter of opinion, which I =
don't mind having.  Th bottom line in all this is that  those who are =
entertaining recent trends of very low action ratios to deal with what I =
consider a passing fancy of high strike weight zones would do well to =
consider whether the supposed benefits outweigh the costs. =20

Nobody needs to take my word for it.  I'm just offering this up as my =
experience.  Try it yourself or do what you want.  And good luck.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20