To be or not to be: a heavy hammer

Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:44:47 +0200

David Love wrote:

We have indeed moved a bit back and forth, and round and
round. Such is the nature of sharing opinions me thinks. Yet
I thank you for it. All such exchange gives pause to reflect
on ones own perceptions.

>  The tonal improvement reaped from moving the SW zone
> beyond where it can be accommodated by an R of 5.75 - 5.85
> without assist springs, overly high BW's or FW's does not
> produce enough (if any) tonal improvement to warrant such
> a change.  That is my opinion, of course.  Quality of tone
> is not yet quantifiable and so is always a matter of
> opinion, which I don't mind having.

Well in this we can agree. I wholeheartedly respect ones
right to opinion, especially rather informed ones such as
your own. And in this matter my own opinion tend more
towards yours then away to be sure. Tho I would certainly
expand the useable ratio range a good deal.

> The bottom line in all this is that  those who are
> entertaining recent trends of very low action ratios to
> deal with what I consider a passing fancy of high strike
> weight zones would do well to consider whether the
> supposed benefits outweigh the costs.

This phrasing I also find myself very much in agreement
with.

Thanks again for your interesting thoughts.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.