Supply house confidentiality on prices

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:28:28 -0700

>In any store I go to I have no idea what the wholesale price for a TV is,
>for instance.
>I don't worry about it but I do look for the best price.  What we offer is
>speciality items.
>Not something someone is going to be able to shop around for normally.  In
>SF we have
>a quasi-supply house.  If people want to take the time to research
>something they can
>probably get a better price than what I sell it for...who cares?  I sure
>don't.  Income from
>parts/supplies is a very small part of my service income.  Once again I
>think it is confidence it what we do.
>Have a policy and stick by it.  You will NEVER get every tuning or
>customer so why worry about it?

Right on, David I.  Energy would be better spent, IMHO, in making sure we
get paid well for providing complete piano service.  Selling parts---or
passing them through in my case---the only thing I mark up is felt for
string covers---is a very small part of my business.

This is a relationship business.  It will never come to pass that
everyone will like you.  Don't sweat it.
There's plenty of work out there, and always will be, for good, honest
people who do a good job.

David A.