Kanter's new graph on Website

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:57:01 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/02 8:08:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
jkanter@rollingball.com writes:

> Jorgensen's actual words: "... three pages of calculations were done
> according to your instructions. As you can see on page number 2, there is
> an imbalance on DbF. To correct this imbalance, I made the following change
> in your instructions: Step 13 now specifies that G#3 should be tuned pure
> from C#4 like you originally had it..."

Yes, those were the instructions I asked him to *try*.  I still use that
option sometimes when the theoretical model does not work.  I also still use
the original model sometimes when the theoretical model does not work.  Yes,
the original sometimes does produce the imbalance, sometimes it does not.
Just because the correct theoretical model has been determined does not mean
it necessarily works every time.  However, it was a necessary goal in order
to find the "correction figures" which was suggested by Kent Swafford and my
reason for consulting Owen Jorgensen.

This statement which you quoted is erroneous:

 "The resulting figures are titled by Jorgensen: "The improved Bremmer when
G# and D# are both tuned pure from C#".

You can't tune D# pure from C#.  What he meant about "improvement" was what I
said in my last post, the fact that the Ab3(G#3)-Eb4(D#4) 5th was made pure
when it previously had been tempered.  Jorgensen tried tempering the G#3-C#4
4th, found that it did not help, suggested returning it to the original pure
interval and also confirmed that my suggestion to make the "improvement" of
the Ab3-Eb4 5th would also help.  You should change the wording on your graph
to reflect this.

"Perhaps Bill would have achieved the improved form on his own."

Probably not.  It took your chart to show the imbalance which does not
necessarily occur in practice.  When I saw your chart, I was still not
certain whether the problem was with the temperament plan or with your
calculations, so I let it stand as it was until that could be determined.
.
I would never change any of my procedures because of anything Ed Foote says.
All he had to do was look at your chart to see that numerical imbalance.  He
did no study or calculations, just found an opportunity to "score".  I
immediately saw the problems which your graph presented too but decided that
what was good about it overshadowed what still needed to be worked out.  Even
though this was explained to Ed Foote more than once, he still wrote a
vicious and vindictive post which attacked the credibility of the entire
idea.

"Sideways Well":  the pit Ed Foote dug for himself to wallow in the day he
knowingly published false data for the EBVT on Pianotech.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin