only aural tunings good?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 18:23:34 +0000

Ok, a few answers....

The specific comment was made after the portion outlining the many possible
difficulties in calculating an "accurate" tuning.  That is, one that matches
the piano as best as possible.  I'll only say that this person is heavily
vested in aural over machine tuning.....

As to the set-up of the pianos, I had help from one person, who tuned the
Verituner and the SAT pianos in the afternoon.  He didn't know by the
evening which was which.  I numbered them, they pretty much look the same.
While people were walking around from place to place, I was setting up the
next portion. It would have been a good idea to provide sheets for everyone
to fill out as they tested...... next time, maybe. We did wheel them all
onto the stage and play some thirds and tenths, (I think. I didn't play, I
was still setting up) one at a time.

I think it is a more powerful demonstration to let people play for
themselves and discover the differences.  Kindof like the temperament
sampler idea at the convention.

Ron Koval