only aural tunings good?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:11:56 -0600

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the added information! I assume all the pianos were the same
make and model and of similar age? Were they the same color too? I'm really
glad someone is taking the time to do these comparisions.

So we have unfortunately a flawed experiment--more than one tech tuned, and
someone in the room who knew which was which--which defeats "double blind".
Next time please add an totally aural tuned piano to the mix. It would be
*so* wonderful to participate. Wish I could be there!

At 06:23 PM 10/18/02 +0000, you wrote:

>Ok, a few answers....
>
>The specific comment was made after the portion outlining the many possible
>difficulties in calculating an "accurate" tuning.  That is, one that matches
>the piano as best as possible.  I'll only say that this person is heavily
>vested in aural over machine tuning.....
>

>As to the set-up of the pianos, I had help from one person, who tuned the
>Verituner and the SAT pianos in the afternoon.  He didn't know by the
>evening which was which.  I numbered them, they pretty much look the same.
>While people were walking around from place to place, I was setting up the
>next portion. It would have been a good idea to provide sheets for everyone
>to fill out as they tested...... next time, maybe. We did wheel them all
>onto the stage and play some thirds and tenths, (I think. I didn't play, I
>was still setting up) one at a time.
>
>I think it is a more powerful demonstration to let people play for
>themselves and discover the differences.  Kindof like the temperament
>sampler idea at the convention.
>Ron Koval

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.