a different interpretation of tone or color

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:03:30 +0000

Antares wrote:
<snip>
I think it is necessary for every tuning apprentice / student / professional
to first tune thousands of pianos aurally in order to get trained properly,
develop a tuning 'ear' and so know by instinct how to make a decent tuning.
In that case, when the battery of the ETD is low he/she can continue solving
the Chinese puzzle.
<snip>

This concept has always bothered me.....

So, who is paying for that training, and does it line up with the 2nd point
in the PTG code of ethics? (listed below)

2.  I will render the best possible service under the circumstances, always
keeping the best interests of my client in mind.

I know... "We've always done it that way."

I liken aural tuning to vintage wine-making.  When it's a good year (tuning)
it can be very good, but when it's a bad year (tuning) it can be awful.
Some machine tunings aren't the best, but they are usually acceptable.

It may be time to rethink whether it is best for our profession to teach
aural techniques first, given the above code.  I think it would be better to
teach "assisted" aural tuning, leaving the full aural experience for those
that wish to pursue that option.  It's enough in the beginning to focus on
unisons, and hammer technique.  In fact, as Antares wrote, it may be best
for experienced techs to focus on unisons, and hammer technique, too!

Ron Koval
(can-o-worms opener)