only aural tunings are good

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:48:47 -0500

> machine tunings are better in the long run, for consistency and
> accuracy. I
> wouldn't give mine up for anything.
>
> Wim
	I concur, and can always tweak the program. I've asked fairly "critical"
people how they like their octaves (over-easy, sunny side up, yolks hard,
etc), and had one lady not like the machine so I went aural.  She liked
it. Next tuning I did the same and she didn't like it again. For grins I
went through and set them by the machine...............  She liked
it.........     Might be fair to say "All pianists are deaf,
sometimes."..................   I did a tuning on a 9-foot Kawai in which
the bass stretch was less than 2-cents. Didn't make sense, yet thirds and
tenths progressed nicely, fifths and fourths were clean, and Robert Scott
said, given the reading I showed on the file, the lack of stretch might
be appropriate. The performer, a local well-known, told the director the
tuning was excellent..............  So, I faithfully recreate tunings as
much as possible for consistency and stability's sake.
les bartlett

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.