a different interpretation of tone or color

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:59:37 -0500

>This concept has always bothered me.....

I normally try to stay out of tuning (re-)discussions, but this has
recently bothered me more and more as well.

It's been my experience, and is my conviction, that good solid hammer
technique - with the result of getting a string to stay where you put it
for more than a few seconds, takes far longer for most newbies to learn
than "tuning" -  visual and/or aural.

So I don't particularly see the need for half a lifetime of aural tuning as
being a necessary or even desirable prerequisite to taking up an ETD except
that someone with half a lifetime of aural tuning experience should by now
have a pretty good idea how to run a tuning hammer, where the newbie with
either a fork or a box most likely does not. Half a lifetime tuning with a
slide whistle is almost certainly better pre-qualification for switching to
a modern ETD than the same amount of time in the tool crib at Boeing. And
yes, I agree that the newbie with the box will on average turn out better
tunings than the newbie with the fork.

That's it, I'm done.

Ron N