a different interpretation of tone or color

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:38:52 -0500

>Well Ron,
>
>(I hope you're not angry with me, are you?)

Heck no! I agree that a dead battery shouldn't leave a tuner helpless. I'm
all in favor of learning to tune aurally, just like I'm in favor of
learning about how and why any process works instead of just following the
checklist. My point was just that time behind a hammer is at least as
important as what the tuner is listening to or watching. Just looking at it
from another direction.

>It is like the difference between to boatsmen,  they both know how to handle
>a ship, but one can swim and the other not.
>May come in handy if  you fall over board right?

Right. Do you suppose the shark would be tired, or just really annoyed when
he finally caught up with the swimmer?   <G>  Maybe boatsmen who can
swim  should carry tuning hammers for self defense!

>So what I wrote was not meant as a form of criticism towards people who can
>tune with a box only, but more a reaction on the statement that ETD's can
>never replace the human ear.

Sure, I understand, and didn't mean to imply I took it negatively. But I'm
not so sure about ETDs never replacing the human ear. Never is a very long
time. I think we might be only a couple of generations of ETDs away from
doing just that. Just look at the last ten years of development. Amazing
and wonderful.  Makes my fork quiver just thinking about it.

Best,

Ron N