key dip, dip in.....

Sat, 19 Oct 2002 01:22:27 +0200

Avery Todd wrote:

> Hi Andre,
>
> Well, maybe I'm not so stupid after all! That's (10mm) is ALWAYS what
> I start with. And I keep it there unless I absolutely HAVE to change
> it to get things to work out! Thanks for your post!
>
> Avery

I dont think anyone would ever accuse you of being stupid for opting for a 10mm
standard dip. I certainly wouldnt. Besides...grin.. I like you too much. :) But I
would like to point out that if you insist on that for a piano that specifies an 11
mm dip, then you'd better know a bit about what you are doing or you can end up
with a real mess.

Still no one has addressed the consequences of Bob Hohfs disertation on action
heights in this context. His observations about the distance between string and
keybed determining each individual actions optimal distance geometries seem hard to
ignore, and would definantly, if adhered to, require a willingness to relax the 10
mm thing.... at least to some small degree me thinks.

Cheers !

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.