Proper wire diameters for treble??

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:27:18 -0400

Hi all,

After doing a bit more examining/exploring with my new acquisition (1933
Wissner concert grand), I see that all of the tenor and treble strings are
the same diameter (0.041", by my micrometer).  I imagine the diameters were
different prior to a partial rebuild in 1971.

Anyway, the treble is not quite as responsive as I would like, and perhaps
this is one of the reasons.  (I'm exploring/correcting other problems too.)
Is there some chart, somewhere, that provides recommended wire diameters for
different note ranges on different types of pianos?  Perhaps someone here
can advise me?  Of course Wissner went extinct long, long ago, so I can't
exactly ask the manufacturer -- or even access the original specs for the
piano (I don't think).  The piano most closely resembles a Steinway D, for
all it is worth.  (Wissner studied piano manufacture under Steinway and
started his own tiny factory apparently with Steinway's blessings and, to an
extent, assistance.)

I appreciate any advice!

Peace,
Sarah Fox, Ph.D.