Proper wire diameters for treble??

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:10:24 -0500

>Hi all,
>
>After doing a bit more examining/exploring with my new acquisition (1933
>Wissner concert grand), I see that all of the tenor and treble strings are
>the same diameter (0.041", by my micrometer).  I imagine the diameters were
>different prior to a partial rebuild in 1971.

Yes, I expect so. With 0.041" wire throughout, the high treble tension will
be over half again what it should be.

>Anyway, the treble is not quite as responsive as I would like, and perhaps
>this is one of the reasons.

Yes, perhaps one. There are a few others to consider as well.

>Perhaps someone here can advise me?

I'll try. For the scaling, there are a number of us here on this list who
can work something out for you that will be considerably more reasonable
than what you currently have. As to assessing the piano in general and
determining a course of action for repairs, resurrection, and the recovery
from any other arbitrary improvements made with the partial rebuild, I
would highly recommend the services of a qualified and experienced local
technician and rebuilder. A reasonably comprehensive understanding of what
you currently have to work with is critical to making an effective plan of
action for restoration. Performance penalties for guessing wrong can be
both severe and expensive, and are nearly always cumulative with each wrong
guess.

Ron N