Proper wire diameters for treble??

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 00:42:13 -0400

Hi Patrick and Ron,

Patrick: > Sarah: Are you sure about those measurements?

Yes, my measurements are all accurate at least from 21-68.  I less certain
about my measurements from 69 through 88, as my micrometer doesn't easily
fit in the small spaces, and I have not removed any wires for more accurate
measurements.  My guestimated measurement accuracy in this range is within
+/- .002" though.  In any event, I think I should see size variation from 21
through 68.  Right?  As I understand it, I should be down to perhaps a .03"
wire by note 88, which I am clearly not (measurement inaccuracies aside).

Patrick: > If all the tenor and treble
> strings are the same diameter, then who ever did the restring job did a
> grossly incompetent job.

The piano has apparently had some very good work and some very bad work.  As
far as I can gather, it once belonged to the Metropolitan Opera (NYC) and
was probably used in its youth as a performance piano.  In its latter years
it was an opera coach's piano and was apparently pounded upon and maintained
less conscientiously.

Sarah: >Perhaps someone here can advise me?

Ron: > I'll try. For the scaling, there are a number of us here on this list
who
> can work something out for you that will be considerably more reasonable
> than what you currently have. As to assessing the piano in general and
> determining a course of action for repairs, resurrection, and the recovery
> from any other arbitrary improvements made with the partial rebuild, I
> would highly recommend the services of a qualified and experienced local
> technician and rebuilder.

>From reading this list, I have come to appreciate (and enjoy) what a
technical profession this is!  However, technical matters don't particularly
scare me.  I'm quite a techie person, and in fact I'm not a stranger to
acoustic matters as a bioacoustician.  I have a glancing familiarity with
piano rebuilding, having assisted in a couple of partial rebuilds and having
done some work by myself.  Unfortunately all of my (limited) experience is
with uprights.  Be that as it may, I'm no stranger to taking measurements
and using mathematical formulae.  I would enjoy doing the measurements and
calculations myself if someone could point me to the appropriate
informational resources.  While I may not end up with quite as professional
a job, it would mean a lot to me for my piano to be "all mine."  I have
always taken pride and pleasure in maintaining repairing my instruments
(piano, oboe, saxophone, clarinet) and have regarded them almost as my
children.  Silly?  Perhaps, but that's just me.  I admit I don't fit the
mold in numerous respects.

Anyway, where can I find the requisite charts, tables, formulae, and
discussions?  I'm a quick learn.

Peace,
Sarah