Bridge cap materials

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 11:33:14 EDT

In a message dated 10/19/2002 4:34:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Bridge cap materials
> Date:10/19/2002 4:34:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>            Terry

                 I last thought as to your bridge cap material. Although it's
important to have a tight bridge pin fit throughout the bridge the tightest
hardest grain is most desireable in the top two sections.  I save the
tightest grain  for this area. I replaced a cap on a 1920s baldwin this week
that had  a decent grain  (12 14) throughtout) and they were as badly split
up as the rest of the belly and I don't think it was a reflection on the
grain just age and abuse. I spoke to wally brooks this week about the wide
grain stuff. He stated that 12 grains was surely adequate for the bottom part
of the bridge. It's also often easier to carve long notches. He gave me some
help in the direction of finding tighter grain and understood my concern. but
the box of Bolduc maple  I opened had almost nothing I'd use in the top end.
   Off to Yosemite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Dale Erwin