ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:17:33 +0200

Hello,

I suspect that when you are used to tune with an ETD, the particular
tone of this EDT you have in your ear, and you can tune aurally more
or less the same direction.

Aurally will sound better always, as if you tune with an EDT but
checking aurally as you go, you will make the same kind of tweak that
Phil did when tuning purely aurally.

The problem I had with the ETD was that they tend to make me lazy
about checking, and a few notes off in a nice tuning are more noticed.

There is an important thing I've learned with the use of these tools :
Always shut them down before making the "real" tuning (I mean before
tuning unisons and checking aurally the intervals then.

Beside, having a display is a must to learn very firm pin setting,
while some may say that their pin setting method is so much the same
moment that the hearing moment and I will understand that.

I am very sure that the modern ETD are the future of the tuning world,
but let's keep some magic in the job, it is very important too.

Regards

Isaac OLEG

.*.