ears vs. eyes..kinda long-winded

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:19:25 +0200

Susan Kline wrote:

> At 09:17 PM 10/19/2002 +0200, Isaac wrote:
> >I am very sure that the modern ETD are the future of the tuning world,
> >but let's keep some magic in the job, it is very important too.
>
> Exactly. Thank you.
>
> I can readily admit that for some tasks, such as tuning three pianos
> to each other, or repeating a tuning for a recording some days after
> the first session, an ETD is very handy, or possibly nearly indispensable.

I agree Isaac, and good point Susan.

I think one of the things that continues to get lost in this ofte times hotly
debated subject is that ETD's are actually being misused, and really quite more
often then advocates want to admit. Many of us use ETD's, or have used them to
our benifit, and find them useful. What bothers me is the chorus of screams with
near lynch mob levels of aggresivity when this very real and valid concern is
raised. We are given the Colman / Smith example, yet it is very conviently
forgotten that both these gentlemen have vast experience in our field, as ear
tuners. We are told that beggining ETD tunings are often better then beggining
ear tunings (an obvious fact that adds nothing to the "why learn to hear"
debate). And we are accused of being guilty of all manner of varying ego mania
disease.

I keep saying it cause I've been down both roads.... ETD's are great but a
machine remains a machine, and if we (and we seem to be willing to do so) simply
drop any and all requirements for listening then we loose our trade entirely.
There IS a perspective of understanding piano sound is that comes only from
listening. And that perspective is by definition a human one.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.