key dip, dip in.....

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:51:12 +0200

Well put my friend. As a case in point I just ran into a Petrof that I will soon
be replacing hammers for. Now this is going to be an interesting job as there are
4 string sections on this instrument, and each has a different string to keybed
distance, while the hammer rail is straight. Now the set of hammers that are on
this thing are not factory installed, and appear to be Abel standard long bore.
The difference between high and low bed to strings the unwound sections is all of
3 mm. Regulating as is can choose a straight hammer line, or a constant key dip,
or a constant aftertouch... but not all three at once.

I generally opt to get as even an aftertouch as possible, and give an illusion of
a straight hammer line. Dip is taken on average from what works. Course now that
I get to install new hammers I can make things even MORE complicated...grin.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne