key dip, dip in.....

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:50:02 -0700

If string heights are different in all sections, why would you care about a
straight hammer line?  You certainly wouldn't care to make the hammer line
straight through the bass?

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 20, 2002 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: key dip, dip in.....

Well put my friend. As a case in point I just ran into a Petrof that I will
soon
be replacing hammers for. Now this is going to be an interesting job as
there are
4 string sections on this instrument, and each has a different string to
keybed
distance, while the hammer rail is straight. Now the set of hammers that are
on
this thing are not factory installed, and appear to be Abel standard long
bore.
The difference between high and low bed to strings the unwound sections is
all of
3 mm. Regulating as is can choose a straight hammer line, or a constant key
dip,
or a constant aftertouch... but not all three at once.

I generally opt to get as even an aftertouch as possible, and give an
illusion of
a straight hammer line. Dip is taken on average from what works. Course now
that
I get to install new hammers I can make things even MORE complicated...grin.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne