New Steinway -Tight action centers

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:01:05 +0200

I heard that the Teflon used was McLube 444 actually . I tried it and
obtained slow pinning (permanent)

I.O.
  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de David Love
  Envoyé : lundi 21 octobre 2002 07:25
  À : Pianotech
  Objet : Re: New Steinway -Tight action centers

  I find it hard to believe that David Kirkland never heard of this problem
before (not that I don't believe you).  Permafree 2 has had problems for
years with tight centers.  The problem often manifests itself in the damper
flanges as well.  The traditional Steinway fix has been to use methanol.
But it can be unpredictable and the centers can become too loose.  Alcohol
and water will work to ease the bushings, but don't use heat.  Apply and let
dry overnight.  The pinning is not likely to be even and after treating the
centers it would be wise (though possibly not covered by the warranty) to
check the flange pinning and repin as necessary.  Unfortunately, Steinway
prepping prior to sale is hit or miss as it depends on the motivation of the
dealer.  Steinway's are not well prepped out of the factory and a thorough
going over needs to be done on all of them.  On a Steinway out of the
factory I would figure 12-15 hours including regulation and voicing to get
the piano ready.  If they haven't done that at the dealer, then you
shouldn't be surprised to have to put in some time.  In answer to your
questions:

  1.  Protek will lubricate until it evaporates.  Then, if the centers are
too tight, it will again become evident.  Protek will have no effect on
sizing overtight bushings.

  2.  Alcohol/water will be effective but unpredictable.  Don't use heat and
be prepared to check and repin if necessary.

  3.  Tight centers on new Steinways are common.

  4.  If there is graphite in the spring slots (the underside of the
balancier where the rep springs slides) I wouldn't worry about it.  That
area is usually lubricated with something similar.  The top of the
balancier, on the other hand, should have no black stuff.  Out of the
factory, the lubricant that appears on the top of the balancier is greenish
in color and is quite dry.

  David Love