key dip, dip in.....

Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:43:48 -0700

If you have different string heights in each section (like many older
Bechsteins, for example) then you will have different hammer line in each
section to make the blow distances equal.  If the boring was done standard,
then you will have different shank heights in each section as well.

I will admit I've never seen a piano where the bass was bored the same as
the tenor/treble.  A shank farther off the rest cushion will not repeat so
well as the one set closer.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 21, 2002 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: key dip, dip in.....

David Love wrote:

> If string heights are different in all sections, why would you care about
> straight hammer line?  You certainly wouldn't care to make the hammer line
> straight through the bass?
>
> David Love

Kind of depends on the bore length to begin with me thinks. If, as Petrof
themselves say do, you vary the bore length to match string height you have
different situation then if you have, as in this case a standard out of box
set
of replacements... or what ? Course when the first shoe shine reshaper comes
along...... :)

Interesting enough point though. We see curved string planes dont we, and
rather
randomly uneven ones as well. Can make for some interesting hammer lines
that's
for sure :)

Question though, as long as we are on about this. Some pianos have a thicker
cushion for the hammer rest rail in the bass then in the rest of the piano
compensate for higher shank position there (when so configured). So, what
difference would that extra 3 mm or so distance between the rest cushion and
the
shank mean ?

--
Richard Brekne