a different interpretation of tone or color

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:34:26 -0700

>Ron N wrote:
>So I don't particularly see the need for half a lifetime of aural tuning as
>being a necessary or even desirable prerequisite to taking up an ETD except
>that someone with half a lifetime of aural tuning experience should by now
>have a pretty good idea how to run a tuning hammer, where the newbie with
>either a fork or a box most likely does not. Half a lifetime tuning with a
>slide whistle is almost certainly better pre-qualification for switching to
>a modern ETD than the same amount of time in the tool crib at Boeing. And
>yes, I agree that the newbie with the box will on average turn out better
>tunings than the newbie with the fork.

Some interesting points; I totally agree that setting the pins is a huge
part of the craft; I still think the ear training is crucial for the
craft---I kind of like the "musician" requirement as well.....

>That's it, I'm done.
Thank you.

>Ron N
David A