a different interpretation of tone or color

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:34:21 -0700

Ron K. wrote:
>This concept has always bothered me.....
>
>So, who is paying for that training,
A store, the clients, the apprentice, whatever---if someone wants to
learn bad enough, they will.

> and does it line up with the 2nd point
>in the PTG code of ethics? (listed below)
>
>2.  I will render the best possible service under the circumstances, always
>keeping the best interests of my client in mind.
Yes it does.  Using one's ears is the zenith of this craft; if it's not,
you should hang it up and do something else.  It's all about how a piano
sounds (and feels)---isn't it?
Find a store and do floor tunings for cheap.  Get the work in.
Do pro bono work for poor churches, old folks' homes, schools.
My tunings after tuning 100 pianos---before I ever went into a paying
clients' house---
were a hell of a lot better than a lot of tunings I've heard since by
guys who are
"in and out:" clockwatchers. Guys who accept that their tunings "aren't
the best but they're acceptable.
To who? To you?  Really?  In your gut, in your heart of hearts? Or
acceptable to the mythical "THE CLIENT," who "can't tell the difference
anyway," according to many tuners I've talked to and heard from.
I refuse to accept that paradigm.  I have some personal pride in my
craft.

>I know... "We've always done it that way."
For good, good reason.  This throwing of the baby out with the bathwater
by this generation of technicians is starting to bother me.  Have you
ever heard a really fabulous aural tuning---by Mohr, by Virgil Smith, by
Bill Garlick.  Gorgeous.  Inspiring.  Musical.  Magical.  Capable of
providing strong psycho-acoustic illusion.  Beautiful.
You want to abrogate that?  Please, Ron.  Stop and take a look back.  You
stand on the shoulders of unnamed, unremembered yet gifted
craftsmen/artists/piano technicians.  Honor them.

>I liken aural tuning to vintage wine-making.  When it's a good year (tuning)
>it can be very good, but when it's a bad year (tuning) it can be awful.
Why would it EVER be awful, if you're a professional?

>Some machine tunings aren't the best, but they are usually acceptable.
Speaks for itself.  Frightening.

>It may be time to rethink whether it is best for our profession to teach
>aural techniques first, given the above code.  I think it would be better to
>teach "assisted" aural tuning, leaving the full aural experience for those
>that wish to pursue that option.
I couldn't disagree more.  "Uh, this is a craft based on using your ears,
but don't use your ears to do the most basic, oft-repeated, arguably most
important thing we do as professional craftspeople..."
Sound crazy?  It IS crazy.

>  It's enough in the beginning to focus on
>unisons, and hammer technique.
This is not a job for sissies.  Do it all.  Use and trust your God-given
talents.
>  In fact, as Antares wrote, it may be best
>for experienced techs to focus on unisons, and hammer technique, too!
Absolutely.  AND the temperament, AND octaves, AND stretching musically.

>Ron Koval
>(can-o-worms opener)
I'd say that.  You got my dander up......  :---)