New Steinway-Tight action centers

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:43:58 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/02 12:09:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
tomtuner@attbi.com writes:

> 1.      If treated with liquid Teflon at the factory, why would Protek CPL
> (Teflon) be short-term in the field?
> 2.      Will the alc-water treatment be effective on a center so treated?

As I mentioned the gentleman was supportive and authorized the aforementioned
warranty service, but I think I might have to ream and repin at least a
portion of these. Opinions?

This gets back to the basic difference between the two ideas which are not,
in themselves, incompatible.  The alcohol/water treatment causes the wood to
swell, temporarily, thus physically *compressing* the bushing cloth.  When it
dries, the joint is bound to be looser because of the compression.

The Protek, while an excellent product and remedy in many cases, would only
make the tight joint more slippery in this case.  While that may work in the
short term, it could well be that once the lube has dried up, the joint will
be too tight again.  In the case where any oxidation at all may be the cause
of the problem, the Protek will help and be long term unless it is a very
severe case of an old and little used piano.

I have experienced first hand and others have noted that alcohol/water
treatments can actually cause the joint to become too lose and need repinning
with a *larger* sized pin.

I guess the assumption here is that no one, not even Steinway would be
willing to pay for someone to actually take each flange off, depin and
carefully ream and burnish it?  That's what a factory or Concert & Artist
technician would do, I would think.

I think the response to your last comment about having to ream and repin at
least a portion is "yes", regardless of which method you choose.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin