Heat-Damaged Bass String?

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:56:10 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/02 5:21:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:

> Hi,
>
> To control the heat on the pliers an ordinary incandescent dimmer can be
> used. Just put those piano tuning skills to a slighty different use for a
> few moments!
>
> At 02:41 PM 10/21/02 -0700, you wrote:
> >I like the electric shank benders myself...I just borrowed one from a tech
> friend...but it is
> >very easy to blacken the shank...I would suggest the wattage controller to
> keep the temp. a little lower.
> >
> >David I.
> >
> >PS.  Why is the Pianotek tool so much more expensive?  Does anyone own
> one?
>

> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
> the Arts

Don, using an ordinary light dimmer to control any heating device such as
shank bender, soldering gun, hot air gun and so on can be dangerous.  Most of
the dimmer switches use resistance to control the output, the same as the
heating devices use to produce heat.  The combined resistances can easily put
to much load on the system and a potential for fire.

The wattage controllers work differently and are safe but the technology is
more expensive so thats why they get the big bucks.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW