Heat-Damaged Bass String?

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:29:17 -0600

Hi David,

The shank bending pliers that I recommend the incandescent dimmer switch
for (NOT MOTOR CONTROLLER) draw 150 watts. I agree they should not be used
with a heat gun--but for different reasons. You may well burn out the motor
on a heat gun with such a dimmer, which uses a silcon controlled rectifier
to switch the A.C. into pulse D.C. and reduces the voltage by reducing the
number of pulses.

A side benefit of using an SCR on regular incandesent bulbs is that they
will last for years longer with pulse DC rather than A.C.

At 07:56 PM 10/21/02 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/21/02 5:21:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
>pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:
>

> Hi,
>
> To control the heat on the pliers an ordinary incandescent dimmer can be
> used. Just put those piano tuning skills to a slighty different use for a
> few moments!
>
> At 02:41 PM 10/21/02 -0700, you wrote:
>>I like the electric shank benders myself...I just borrowed one from a tech
> friend...but it is
>>very easy to blacken the shank...I would suggest the wattage controller to
> keep the temp. a little lower.
>>
>>David I.
>>
>>   Does anyone own one?
>

> Regards,
> Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
> the Arts
>

>   The combined resistances can easily put to much load on the system and a
>potential for fire.
>
> The wattage controllers work differently and are safe but the technology
>is more expensive so thats why they get the big bucks.
>
> David Koelzer
> Vintage Pianos
> DFW

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.