Winter & Co. .... Blahhh

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:30:28 -0400

Now try tuning one with an aluminum plate.  Talk about instability ...!  =
But hey -- they were light enough for ordinary people (as opposed to =
piano movers) to push around to their liking.

(I'll leave it to your collective imaginations where some of these may =
have ended up after a good push.)

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 8:06 PM
  Subject: Winter & Co. .... Blahhh

  Are all Winter & Co. pianos mucho crappy or just the ones I tune? =
Wound bichords up to G#36 (5 notes on the tenor bridge). Wild strings =
everywhere. Whiny trichords. Thumpy, wumpy lowest octave. Unstable as =
all get-out for about 3 notes either side of the tenor-treble break...

  Seems like a lot of people, over the years, went shopping for a piano =
but were tricked by the nice-looking furniture!

  Of course, today's wasn't really a completely fair example ... hadn't =
been tuned since 1985!

  Oh, and another plug for Sanderson Pitch Correction -- this sucker was =
all over the place from 12 to 80 cents flat. Adjusted my percentages =
about every 6 to 12 notes. Ended up reaaaaaaal close. It always amazes =
me how well it works!

  Alan Barnard
  Raisin' Cain (and pitch) in Salem, MO