Recording Studio Tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:10:03 -0400

I know that many of you tune pianos for big name artists often. Well, I don't. Today I got a call from a local recording studio requesting an "emergency" tuning. I was in my shop today, dowelling a pinblock to a frame, so I went. I tuned a smallish Kawai KG-2C so - so piano - it was up to 10 cents off (definitely needed tuning!). Anyway, three fellows, known as the Jeff Berlin trio were going to record. I see from related web sites, Jeff Berlin is fairly well known in electric bass, rock and jazz circles. His pianist was Richard Drexler, a seemingly kind fellow, who merrily played a Brahms something-or-other #118 for me. WOW! This dude could play!

They were going to experiment with the Brahms piece and add some funky jazz to it. I didn't get to stay for it, but it sure sounded interesting. Quite amazing hanging around a studio like that for a while. Very interesting.

I tuned the Kawai with my trusty Verituner. My tunings generally sound good to me, I don't yet have a lot of confidence that they will sound excellent to a critical ear. While the guy did not do backflips over the tuning, he did say very definitively, twice, that the piano sounded good. Man, I was so relieved. Anyway, that was my big whoop-tee-doo for today (and likely for a while!).

Terry Farrell