let-off

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:28:31 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/02 4:24:54 PM Central Daylight Time, avery@ev1.net
writes:

> Wim,
>
> I'm confused. I've always heard that in a heavy use piano, that increasing
> the let-off "decreased" the
> string breakage because the hammer hits the string with less power!
>
> Avery
>
> >To answer your question directly, yes, a little more let off will reduce
> >hammer wear. But it will also cause strings to break. So it's up to you
> >which you want to do, replace strings, or shape hammers.
>
> I agree here! :-)

I always thought so, too. But I have noticed that I have had very few strings
break ever since I brought the let off to all the grands up to within 1/16".
Before I got here, the let off was anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4". Maybe the lack
of string breaking is due to the pianos being more in tune, but I think it
might have more to do with the let off.

Wim