broken key w/piece missing

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:40:42 EDT

Someone gave me a piano that has a broken key.  It's not possible to re-glue
it together because there is a part missing: it broke at the balance rail
hole, of course, and one of the sides of the hole is missing.  I don't think
I can manufacture the missing piece so that it fits onto the balance rail pin
effectively.

Is there a service somewhere that reproduces individual keys?

Any ideas for repair would be appreciated.

Tom Sivak

P.S.

No, this isn't exactly a Steinway we're discussing here.  (It came with a
damp chaser bar down below the elbows.)  But someday I might come across a
Steinway with the same problem, and through the accumulated wisdom of the
list, I'd know how to deal with it!