let-off

Philip Newman philip@pianoaction.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:45:08 -0500

>To answer your question directly, yes, a little more let off will reduce
>hammer wear. But it will also cause strings to break. So it's up to you
>which you want to do, replace strings, or shape hammers.

I agree here! :-)

>Personally, I would leave the let off where it is, and inform the customer
>to start saving up for those new hammers.

And, if I may be permitted a little plug here, let those new hammers be Ari
Isaac Cadenza hammers. I've only been using his hammers about a year myself,
but have researched with other rebuilders. Not only do his hammers have an
amazing range of tonal expression, but the felt has a density and resilience
that just won't quit. One university tech in particular says that he has had
a set on a concert Yamaha for 15 years, and still showing no signs of
wearing out. Hammers by other manufacturers receiving the same use would
have been changed at least three times already.

CHeers,
Philip Newman
Winnipeg