Pinblock Drilling Centering

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:59:02 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/02 9:41:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Ron N's recent post on the bad rebuild reminded me to ask the following.
> When drilling tuning pin holes in new block in a full plate with no plate
> bushings, how best to center pin? I see so many that have the pins riding
> on the plate, just as many were on my one of my current projects. Would it
> not be best to just kiss the forward side (closest to pianist) of the plate
> hole with the drill bit (it will be going in on a bit of an angle, of
> course). That way when strings are brought up to tension, the pin will move
> slightly (yes?) off the plate edge, and end up somewhere near the middle of
> the hole (yes?). I have never done one of these before, but I fear that if
> you drill the hole in the middle of the plate hole you will end up with the
> tuning pin riding the plate on the rear side of the hole.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry, we all know the block shouldn't ride forward but since I live in a
real world I compensate for that rare occasion by taking a good size center
punch and  wrapping masking tape around the end.  Now if I want the pinhole
centered I put enough tape on so it just fits the plate hole,  but if I want
to pull the pins toward me I put less tape on and as I am punching, pull the
punch towards me so it seats on the front of the hole and punch.  You can
actually get the exact position you want by subtracting or adding tape.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
Yes sir reee Bob, DFW