Pinblock Drilling Centering

Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:07:08 -0700

Lots of good ideas, but why not just use a drift punch of the =
appropriate size? A whole set (in 1/64" increments) shouldn't run more =
than $10 or $15 (it's been a while since I bought any--but still...).

Del
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kdivad@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 22, 2002 8:59 PM
  Subject: Re: Pinblock Drilling Centering

  In a message dated 10/22/02 9:41:12 PM Central Daylight Time, =
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

    Ron N's recent post on the bad rebuild reminded me to ask the =
following. When drilling tuning pin holes in new block in a full plate =
with no plate bushings, how best to center pin? I see so many that have =
the pins riding on the plate, just as many were on my one of my current =
projects. Would it not be best to just kiss the forward side (closest to =
pianist) of the plate hole with the drill bit (it will be going in on a =
bit of an angle, of course). That way when strings are brought up to =
tension, the pin will move slightly (yes?) off the plate edge, and end =
up somewhere near the middle of the hole (yes?). I have never done one =
of these before, but I fear that if you drill the hole in the middle of =
the plate hole you will end up with the tuning pin riding the plate on =
the rear side of the hole.

    Terry Farrell
     =20

  Terry, we all know the block shouldn't ride forward but since I live =
in a real world I compensate for that rare occasion by taking a good =
size center punch and  wrapping masking tape around the end.  Now if I =
want the pinhole centered I put enough tape on so it just fits the plate =
hole,  but if I want to pull the pins toward me I put less tape on and =
as I am punching, pull the punch towards me so it seats on the front of =
the hole and punch.  You can actually get the exact position you want by =
subtracting or adding tape.

  David Koelzer
  Vintage Pianos
  Yes sir reee Bob, DFW=20