Why tuning pin bushings/why not?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 08:14:53 -0700 (PDT)

I've always thought bushings: 1) Keep crap out of the
pinblock.
2) Provide a bit of humidity barrier.
3)Keep the pin from "wallering" out the hole (as they
say here in the South.
4)Add a bit more resistance to string tension.
     Why did so many high-end manufacturers not use
them? What is the educated opinion on this today?
     Please inform.
     Thump

Pray tell?.
--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>