Shaving Steinway Double Flanges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:32:33 -0500

>But I'm curious. Has anybody tried to slim down a flange leg(?), say a
>specified and uniform 20 mils.

Not that specifically, but I've made a whole bunch of little bitty player
part replacements through the years with quick and disposable table saw
jigs. The principals are the same, as are the risks. The basic choice seems
to be whether you spend a whole lot more time than you want to in designing
and building a safe OSHA approved type jig, or make a quick and dirty that
leaves you working much closer to the blade than you would ideally prefer.
The latter certainly keeps your attention from wandering from a false sense
of security.

Ron N