Why piano tuning pin bushings?

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:25:22 -0400 (EDT)

Bushings transfer more tension to the plate.

A Steinway without bushings  transfers more tension
through the block to the rim and stretcher. Since the
plate
does not need to hold as much of the tension,
it can be constructed lighter.

I would not want to put bushings in a plate/rim
assembly
not built for it.

Bolduc uses the question in his classes ,
"What is heavier, a piano with tuning pin bushings or
a piano without tuning pin bushings?"
Much heavier with bushings.....
all that extra iron for extra plate tension.

                               Dave Renaud

gordon stelter wrote:

  I've always thought bushings: 1) Keep crap out of
the
  pinblock.
  2) Provide a bit of humidity barrier.
  3)Keep the pin from "wallering" out the hole (as
they
  say here in the South.
  4)Add a bit more resistance to string tension.
       Why did so many high-end manufacturers not use
  them? What is the educated opinion on this today?
       Please inform.
       Thump

  Pray tell?.
  --- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
  wrote:
  > "Alan R. Barnard" wrote:
  >
  > > Why not go ahead and install bushings if there
is
  > room? I'd like to see how
  > > a bushed Steinway would tune. As they say in
  > Brooklyn, "It couldn't hoit,
  > > could it?"
  > >
  > > Alan Barnard
  > >

  > I have one of these beasts, on at a finishing
school
  >  here in Bergen. Cant say I
  > find any particular problems or plusses I can
  > attribute to the bushings. This is
  > one of those rebuilds Ron N just wrote about... by
  > the fellow I mentioned in my
  > reply. All kinds of falsness... rather thin and
  > crashy sound.... in short...
  > they LOVE it.
  >
  > Another one at a church here was at one time one
of