Why piano tuning pin bushings?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 03:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

Gosh, that's funny...... the Masons, Steinways and
Conovers I've had.....all without bushings, were some
of the HEAVIEST pianos I've ever moved! The Mason 50"
upright was like a block of lead, and I could not lift
one end off the floor alone. Conovers have plates
about 3/4 inch thick. ( Conovers and Masons are my
favorites. )
    I have a  feeling the ommission was meant to be
tonal---some sense that some portion of the
vibrational energy would pass through the string, into
the block, back to the rim and belly rail and then on
to the board without being absorbed by the plate. Cast
iron has great compressive stength, and my impression
has always been that plates are designed to take the
full tesnsion, while the rim just keeps them bolted
into a flat plane, so they do not twist and snap.
     The only significant structural difference I
sense is that a bushing would put the fulcrum of
twisting force caused by string tension higher up,
rather than from beneath the plate.
     Thump