Shaving Steinway Double Flanges

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:42:15 -0500

>I could toss in something about compliance costing at least 60% more than
>mere competence for the same job, but even if I did (which I won't), I
>wouldn't attribute it anyone. <g>

Ah, a fine observation and a great truth. Sounds sort of familiar.

>I don't like automatic transmissions, either.

That's why Toyota hasn't bothered to fix their 5 speed manual so you can
get the bloody thing into reverse without a battle. It's not worth their
trouble since nobody but me buys them.

>Actually it went pretty smoothly with the vice and knife.
>Bill Ballard RPT

Good. I most always try freehand first with one time operations. Another
possibility could have been a couple of new ignition files epoxied together
with a shallow angle maple wedge between them, narrow enough at the tip to
get between the flange ears, wide enough at the base for your test bit to
pass. Or just one file and a wedge, filing half way on one ear, and
flipping the file to finish on the other. Or two files and the wedge,
parallel in length, but tapered in width, finish width at the top.

All sorts of possibilities.

Ron N