Repetition Lever Size Problem

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:17:41 EDT

In a message dated 10/22/02 8:22:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Hi gang. Rebuilding a 1947 Baldwin M action. Renner has a great match for
> the shank/knuckle/flange (Abel flange is cut wrong on the back side for
> this action rail). The Renner New Baldwin wippen assembly also appears to
> be a perfect fit - except for the end of the repetition lever nearest the
> flange. I installed these parts on the action and regulated a few notes.
> Everything is real good, but with a 46 mm blow, a 10 mm dip  (how about
> that Antares!) and about 0.6 mm aftertouch  (.025") the shank is just
> touching the top of the repetition lever height adjustment screw (it is
> actually 1/16" above it, but the hammer I have on the shank is bored such
> that I have a bit of overstriking, so the shank will be about 1/16" lower).
> The old wippens have a shorter repetition lever post, which in turn brings
> the flange end of the old wippens down quite a bit lower and provide ample
> clearance for the shank. Every thing else on these Renner wips fits/aligns
> quite well, and even slightly imp!
> roves some of the basic geometry.
>
> Obviously I could shorten the blow distance, but I don't want to do that on
> a new action because of ill-fitting parts.
>
> Is there something that I might be overlooking? Any great ideas? Should I
> try Baldwin, Gibson, or whoever owns them now? I tremble just thinking of
> pursuing that route. Thanks for any ideas.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry, Baldwins can be fun.  If the wippens will work for all other
parameters I have been known to take a pair of nippers and cut about half (or
a little more) off the swedged end of the screw,  just make sure to leave
enough for your regulation tool to get a bite on. So far this technique
(albeit perhaps a little jackleg) has worked well,
though you might have to manipulate the hammer rail height to achieve a
workable compromise there.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW