Pinblock Drilling Centering

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:46:34 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/2002 4:24:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

            Terry
            I use  the Bolduc blocks routinely and like them. However  I find
it necessary to drill towards the back of the hole. I clean out the plate
hole with a drill bit to remove paint and a small amount of steel as a matter
of process and then with the block srewed to the plate,  take a sharp pencil
and scribe a circle. This gives me a target so I know right where the hole
is.(I drill out of the piano) I then drill slightly off center with a brad
point to help guide (towards the keyboard. I drill out of the piano. I find
this to be  an accurate method that eliminates the lean. Yes the pins lean
some and although I've used  no.1  pins often ,I do find they are not the
best choice if the plate webbing is too thick as they do bend more than the
no. 2's. So now I use no. 2's in that case.
        Funny you should mention delignit. I just bored up my first block.
Not strung yet. I find it to be as smooth as Maple and oddly I drill it with
the same size bit. I can't tell the difference between the two. Its also
something like  athird of the price. Wow!!
     Dale