Why piano tuning pin bushings?

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:08:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/02 9:15:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

>> Bolduc uses the question in his classes ,
>> "What is heavier, a piano with tuning pin bushings or
>> a piano without tuning pin bushings?"
>> Much heavier with bushings.....
>> all that extra iron for extra plate tension.
>>
>>                                Dave Renaud

I'm not sure I get it,  where does the extra plate tension come from with
bushings?  I can imagine a little pressure at the webbing but over all the
same tension at pitch.  Are we talking about the different position of the
tension, some at the holes versus the flange?  Doesn't the fact that there
are screws through the plate into the top of the pinblock transfering some
tension in the same direction as pins riding holes or bushings negate that
idea?  Could comeone please enlighten me?

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW