Shift Problems

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:04:29 -0500

>I don't see anything I can do to make the action shift further
>except reduce the thickness of the cheek block. The hammers are
>very well aligned to the strings, so that's not the problem.
>
>Any ideas I've overlooked? The piano is only about 1 yr. old. The
>5 yr. old one shifts much further and is fine. Thanks for any
>ideas.
>
>Avery

Hi Avery,
You have two choices. The first is to reduce the width of the cheek block,
which will also mean relocating either the dowel, or the hole in the
keybed, as well as that for the screw. The second is to reduce the width of
the bass stop block (?) and re-align all the hammers. You might have to
shave down where the shift lever ear engages the action, and the clearance
channel for sliding it in. The third of your two options is to whittle away
some keyframe and hope you can get enough shift before C-8 hits the cheek
block. I'd go for door number 2. It's least destructive, easy to dance to,
most likely to work, and sits most lightly on the conscience, if not the
schedule.

It's a hand built piano, after all. Just needs some more hand building.

Ron N