Shift Problems

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:20:58 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/02 7:51:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
yardbird@pop.vermontel.net writes:

> At 8:09 PM -0400 10/24/02, Kdivad@aol.com wrote:
> >  By the way most of the techs I know adjust the shift so the left
> >edge of the hammer just touches the >left string not completely
> >missing it.  The idea being subtle changes in flavor rather than
> >gross changes.
>
> This set-up is very exacting and it's also very vulnerable  to wear
> and weather. What's the second B. Is that side-by-side with the
> 1-year-old? How is the UC on that one set-up?  Does Mr. Simon like
> that one's UC sound?
>

> Bill Ballard RPT

Bill, that was just a side comment I threw in, I should have known better
than to make a comment without an explaination.  The technique I am talking
about does not rely on the left edge of the hammer barely striking the
string, it relies on a 1/32" section of the left side of the hammer that has
been subtly needled to make the difference in dynamics.  As you can see this
is much less sensitive to wear and weather.
Of course it is Mr. Simons choice as it takes all kinds.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW