Shift Problems

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:43:26 -0400

At 9:20 PM -0400 10/24/02, Kdivad@aol.com wrote:
>Bill, that was just a side comment I threw in, I should have known
>better than to make a comment >without an explaination.

Believe it or not, I actually did that for awhile: decide where you
want the hammer to slip out from under the LH String, pick a letter
drill of the correct diameter to drop in between the keyframe and the
bass keyblock to fix that spot in the shift for regulation purposes,
mute out the Center and RH strings, and then space hammers for a
consistent "just-glance-the-string" sound. Ah Youth......

>The technique I am talking about does not rely on the left edge of
>the hammer barely striking the string, it relies on a 1/32" section
>of the left side of the hammer that has been subtly needled to make
>the difference in dynamics.  As you can see this is much less
>sensitive to wear and weather.

Your set-up still hits all three strings, but provides for a zone on
the hammer strike surface which can be voiced completely separately
from the standard position. A very good set-up.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin