thick or thin

Bigeartb@aol.com Bigeartb@aol.com
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 22:41:03 EDT

Willem,
      I do believe the feel of the instrument can become too spongy with the
use of numerous paper punchings especially on the front rail. I was also
taught we should gently tap the center and front rail felt punching . This
enhances the keylevelig stabiltiy and keydip stability. It has always worked
for me but maybe these two little steps are unnecessary but I always use the
largest felt punchings....hammer tapped...and the least amount of paper. The
hammer tapping procedure eliminates the felt spongyness but one can not ,to
my knowledge, eliminate spongyness from the use of too many paper shims. We
talked this thread once when you were on vacation and some disagree but thats
how we all learn.

Thanks,

Tommy Black