which comes first, hammers or strings?

Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:54:51 -0700

Hammer first.  You will get more benefit out of new hammers on old strings
than old hammers on new strings.  Discoloration shouldn't be a problem.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Mulik" <tubist@swbell.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 24, 2002 7:36 PM
Subject: which comes first, hammers or strings?

Hello all,

I've subscribed to this list for some time now, but this is my first time
posting.

I'm in the process of restoring my grandmother's old upright Tryber.  As an
instrument, it really isn't worth fixing up, but it has great sentimental
value, and besides I need all the experience I can get.

The cabinet and keytops are finished, and I figured to save the action until
last.  The hammers and strings all need to be replaced.  My question is,
which should I replace first, the strings or the hammers?  I don't have the
cash to do everything at once, so I figured to do one job now, and the other
maybe six months or a year from now.

It seems to me the strings (and the pins too, of course) should be replaced
first, since if I put in new hammers first, the rusty old strings would
quickly discolor them.  Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik