which comes first, hammers or strings?

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:50:02 -0400

At 9:36 PM -0500 10/24/02, Paul Mulik wrote:
>The cabinet and keytops are finished, and I figured to save the action until
>last.  The hammers and strings all need to be replaced.  My question is,
>which should I replace first, the strings or the hammers?  I don't have the
>cash to do everything at once, so I figured to do one job now, and the other
>maybe six months or a year from now.
>
>It seems to me the strings (and the pins too, of course) should be replaced
>first, since if I put in new hammers first, the rusty old strings would
>quickly discolor them.  Anyone have any advice on this?

Easily, re-string it first. Make sure you go all around the corners
on this, cleaning out and fixing up what you can't get to after a
restringing, or better yet, what should be the foundation for a solid
restringing.

Then you can take a break with maybe a monthly tuning for at least
six months. You can certainly play around with the action, and you'll
even get a hint at the rewards of fresh wire while you do this.
Recondition and regulate the action, with the old parts. You'll learn
in short order what needs fresh materials.

The best part is taking the dampers off the strings, and revving them
up with your tuba.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"When you do, you will"
     ...........Albert to his charge Chris, in "What Dreams May Come"