Marking plate for pinblock fitting

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:44:23 -0700

I've also been doing the epoxy fitting for some time because I feel a get a
better fit of block to plate.  I work on the block until I get a good fit.  As
some are pointing out, this fit may not be as critical as we've been lead to
believe, so getting a very close fit and the epoxy treatment may be overkill.
On the other hand, it doesn't take me much longer to get a good fit than a
poor one and the epoxy treatment takes all of 5 to 10 minutes, so why take
chances with a poor fit.  Slather the plate flange with paste wax, mix some
epoxy to paste consistency, put a some along the edge of the pinblock (you
shouldn't need that much if you already have a good fit) and clamp block in
place.  Leave until epoxy is hard, remove block, and wipe off wax.
By the way, I also fit the top of the pinblock to the underside of the plate.
I do not use epoxy on this face.

Phil F